Splunk Search

Failing to pass an IP_Address from inner search to where cidrmatch(x,IP_Address) in the outer search

pavel_ter
Explorer

Hello,

Need some help here. 

The goal is to pass one IP_Address found in inner search to outer search. IP is correctly extracted, but I'm getting following error from "where" command and clueless at this point. 

Here's the error: Error in 'where' command: The operator at '10.132.195.72' is invalid.

And here's the search:

index=ipam sourcetype=data earliest=-48h latest=now()
| where cidrmatch(name, IP_Address)
[ search index=networksessions sourcetype=microsoft:dhcp (Description=Renew OR Description=Assign OR Description=Conflict) earliest=-15min latest=now()
| head 1
| return ($IP_Address) ]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try stats values(*) as * values(_*) as _* by _raw

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pavel_ter
Explorer

Thank you, but no go here, unfortunately. appendcols has to be used after stats, timechart or chart(error generated by Splunk).

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try adding stats count by _raw?

0 Karma

pavel_ter
Explorer

nope, error of course is gone, but no results from search and when running both searches separately, while manually passing results from inner to outer, I do get results.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try stats values(*) as * values(_*) as _* by _raw

0 Karma

pavel_ter
Explorer

This worked! Thank you.

Now questions:

1.  For my education, what was conceptually wrong with my previous attempt to pass IP_Address value to outer search via return ?
  2. Why, in order for appendcols to work, there is a need to create a stats table consisting of all cells in the outer search ? I tried to experiment by leaving only values(*) as * by _row or the opposite and it didn't work. 

Would appreciate some insight on these 2 questions.

Best regards, Pavel.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
  1. The where in the outer search seems to have expanded to

| where cidrmatch(name,IP_Address) 10.132.195.72​

which is what the error message was saying was wrong. Perhaps

| where cidrmatch(name, [innser search | return ($IP_Address)] )​

might have worked but I haven't seen this syntax used before.

• According to the error you got, appendcols needs a table (returned by stats, timechart etc.). I am not sure whether just using table would have worked instead of the stats (perhaps you could try that too). The stats command will only pass the fields define in the stats command further down the pipeline. The by _raw clause is used to (hopefully) keep all the events separate. If any of your _raw were duplicated, then these events are effectively dedup'd and since the aggregations are values functions, these will dedup the fields too, so it is likely to fine. The values(*) will only pick up all the fields which don't start with _ i.e. _time would not be carried through, but values(_*) will pick it up.  Therefore all fields extracted up to the point will pass through the stats command.
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

index=ipam sourcetype=data earliest=-48h latest=now()
| appendcols
[ search index=networksessions sourcetype=microsoft:dhcp (Description=Renew OR Description=Assign OR Description=Conflict) earliest=-15min latest=now()
| head 1
| table IP_Address ]
| filldown IP_Address
| where cidrmatch(name, IP_Address)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...