Splunk Search

Extracting fields from Syslog event

avalle
Path Finder

I have an alert set up to email me if I see failed log on to a list of servers. I would like to alter this alert to only email me if we see failed log on on port 22. The event has a port fiend that is not extracted but I have never extracted a field and I tried to extract it but I am not sure I am doing it right. I have also tried to add "AND "port 22"" to the alert and that did not work

This is the event:
Jan 4 00:03:45 xxxxxxxxx.com sshd[26448]: [ID 800047 auth.notice] Failed keyboard-interactive for wcsuser from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 56395 ssh2

This is the alert I want to filter port 22:
host=xxxdb* OR host=xxxod-* AND "ID 800047 auth.notice" | fields - index - linecount - source - sourcetype - splunk_server

Tags (3)
0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

host=xxxdb* OR host=xxxod-* AND "ID 800047 auth.notice" 
| rex port\s(?<port>\d+) 
| search port="22" 
| fields - index - linecount - source - sourcetype - splunk_server

This will extract the numbers from port then search on port 22

avalle
Path Finder

That kind of worked you can say. I can extract the port but for some reason none of my logs are on port 22 therefore I need to dig deeper

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add the info when you get it and I can help you solve your issue. If not, can you accept the answer and close out the question?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...