Splunk Search

Extracting and Compare Folder Path From CSV

ramuzzini
Path Finder

Hello, working on monitoring if someone has moved a file outside a specific folder inside a preset folder structure on a network using data from a CSV source.  Inside csv, I am evaluating two specific fields used:

Source_Directory and Destination_Directory

I am trying to compare the two going 3 folders deep in the file path but running into issue when performing my rex command.  Preset folder structure is: "\\my.local\d\p\" pulled from the data set used.  Within the folder "\p\", there are various folder names.  Need to eval if a folder path is different beyond the preset path of "\\my.local\d\p\..." I put in bold what a discrepancy would if there is one. 

Example data in CSV:
  Source_Directory                                                    Destination_Directory
     \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder1\bfolder            \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder1\ffolder
     \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1                             \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder2
     \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder2                             \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1\xfolder\mfolder\
     \\my.local\d\p\prg3\folder2\afolder            \\my.local\d\p\prg3\folder2
     \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1                             \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder3

Output query I am trying to create 
  Status           Source_Directory                                                    Destination_Directory
    Same             \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder1\bfolder            \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder1\ffolder
    Same             \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1                             \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder2
    Different        \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder2                             \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1\xfolder\mfolder\
    Same             \\my.local\d\p\prg3\folder2\afolder            \\my.local\d\p\prg3\folder2
    Different        \\my.local\d\p\prg2\folder1                             \\my.local\d\p\prg1\folder3

If folder name is different after the preset"\\my.local\d\p\" path I need that to show in the "Status" output.  I have searched extensively on how to use this rex command in this instance with no luck so thought I would post my issue.  Here is the search I have been trying to use. 

Splunk Search

host="my.local"  source="file_source.csv"  sourcetype="csv"
| eval src_dir = Source_Directory
| eval des_dir = Destination_Directory
| rex src_path = src_dir "(?<path>.*)\\\\\w*\.\w+$"
| rex des_path= des_dir "(?<path>.*)\\\\\w*\.\w+$"
| eval status = if (src_path = des_path, "Same", "Diffrent")
| table  status, Source_Directory, Destination_Directory

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=Source_Directory "\\\\([^\\\\]+\\\\){3}(?<src_folder>[^\\\\]+)"
| rex field=Destination_Directory "\\\\([^\\\\]+\\\\){3}(?<dest_folder>[^\\\\]+)"
| eval status = if(src_folder = dest_folder, "Same", "Different")

View solution in original post

ramuzzini
Path Finder

Thank you.  Was going about that all backwards.  

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=Source_Directory "\\\\([^\\\\]+\\\\){3}(?<src_folder>[^\\\\]+)"
| rex field=Destination_Directory "\\\\([^\\\\]+\\\\){3}(?<dest_folder>[^\\\\]+)"
| eval status = if(src_folder = dest_folder, "Same", "Different")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New Case Study: How LSU’s Student-Powered SOCs and Splunk Are Shaping the Future of ...

Louisiana State University (LSU) is shaping the next generation of cybersecurity professionals through its ...

Splunk and Fraud

Join us on November 13 at 11 am PT / 2 pm ET!Join us for an insightful webinar where we delve into the ...

Build Your First SPL2 App!

Watch the recording now!.Do you want to SPL™, too? SPL2, Splunk's next-generation data search and preparation ...