Splunk Search

Extracted fields not showing up in Interactive search

sourabhguha
Explorer

I have the following regex for an extracted field

(?i)^(?:[^,]*,){1}(?P<OM-InstanceName>[^,]+)  
(?i)^(?:[^,]*,){2}(?P<OM-ObjectName>[^,]+)  
(?i)^(?:[^,]*,){3}(?P<OM-PerfCounterDataID>[^,]+)

When I test the regex it does return the expected fields.

However, the fields do not show up in the search app (on the left side menu - next to the events list)

I have other sourcetypes with extracted fields and they work fine. The only difference for this sourcetype is that I chose the option to 'index only once' when I added the data to Splunk.

Any clues on why the extracted fields are not showing up.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Not too sure what you mean with the "index only once", but then I haven't really used the wizard-style way of adding data to Splunk. One thing that does look like it could be the source of your problems is that your field names contain hyphens, which at least in the past has been a problem.

Assuming that your regexes work fine in other tools, I'd suggest that you use underscore instead and call your fields;

OM_ObjectName
OM_PerfCounterDataID

etc etc

Hope this helps,

Kristian

sourabhguha
Explorer

thanks! that resolved the issue. I renamed it to OMObjectname (removed the '-', did not use underscore).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...