Splunk Search

Extract specific data from logs.

aikn061
Explorer

Hello,  

I need help with extracting specific data from logs.  I know this has been discussed few times before but if anyone has worked on powershell logs, you will see that it comes with lot of data.  Even doing simple get process at shell gives you information like below(example1)and scripts and other more complicated commands give lot more data(example2).  

What I want to do it only display the commands that were run.  Meaning, extract just the commands in below text and disaplay as table or list in splunk.  How do I do this?  I already have regex that will catch powershell's verb-noun combo like this - [a-zA-Z]{3,}-[a-zA-Z]{3,} - this will match any powershell command.  But how do I extract just the command from lot of junk and display only PS commands and its switches and values? 

Example 1)  Creating Scriptblock text (1 of 1):  get-process -Name explorer.exe

ID: abc1234-8539-44xy-a16d-0492bfbd0d61 Path:

Exmaple2)

Creating Scriptblock text (1 of 1):  

For ($x in $y) {

get-process -Name Explorer.exe

write-host $x 

}

ID: abc1234-8539-44xy-a16nn-0492mnod0d61 Path:

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aikn061,

could you highlight the part of logs to extract?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

aikn061
Explorer

sure thing.  In red and bold is only thing I want to extract and display in splunk table or list.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aikn061,

you have to use two different regexes for the two examples.

Example 1:

| rex "\):\s+(?<command1>.*)\s+ID"

Example2.

| rex "\{(?<prog2>[^\}]*)"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...