Splunk Search

Extract firewall ip as host instead of CLM name

PrinceOfEval
Path Finder

The app seems to extract the CLM hostname as the host field. I think it would be better to extract the firewall ip or name as the host field. When users search firewall logs, they typically narrow down their results by specific firewalls rather than by CLMs. The host field, as an index-time extracted field, is intended to enable users to efficiently narrow the scope of their search. Is it possible to extract either the firewall name or ip as the host field rather than the CLM name (without modifying anything but config files)?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There's an option to disable resolution.

0 Karma

PrinceOfEval
Path Finder

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I assume you're talking about CLM name/ip resolution. I'm not concerned with ip vs name necessarily. I'm concerned with firewall vs CLM. I want the firewall ip or name in the host field instead of the CLM ip or name.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Oh, you just want to set the host variable at index time? Why don't you set it in the host field on the form where you setup each connection? Sorry if I'm still missing something.

0 Karma

redman1138
Explorer

Each CLM has around 30 Firewall's logging to them, so the host value is set to the CLM, is there a way to also set the host value to the orig so we can also extract out the actual firewalls?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...