Splunk Search

Evaluating dynamically generated field name

hsingams2
Explorer

I've an event where some field "values" can be concatenated/evaluated to generate a field "name" that exists in the same event. I want to evaluate the generated field name to get its value.

A simple query to imitate this is below. How do I evaluate "foo" so that I get the value "johndoe" (ie "foo" is a reference/pointer to the user)
| stats count | eval user="johndoe" | eval foo="user"

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi hsingams2,

almost got it right 😉 Try this:

| makeresults | eval user="johndoe" | eval foo="user" | eval foo2=user

by using "" around the user you tell eval to use user as a string, and by not using "" around user you tell eval to refer to another field called user.

Does that make sense?

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

hsingams2
Explorer

Thanks for the response. I understand that the calling without quotes would work.
The only issue is I can't use the user field directly. It has to be referenced through foo (i.e foo -> user -> johndoe)

My real life case is something similar to this:
... | eval foo=mvindex(split(somefield,"\n"),1)."/STATUS"

As you can see the "foo" here is dynamically generated and contains a field name as a string value (eg. "TEST00123/STATUS") that I want to evaluate.

Hope it makes sense.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...