Splunk Search
Highlighted

EVAL JSON Consistency

Explorer

With JSON formatted events, I can do fun things like this:

sourcetype="microBreadcrumb" | stats sum(message.totalIdle) as sumTotalIdle | table sumTotalIdle

As you can see, there is no problem accessing and using the second level within the JSON tree (message.totalIdle). Why does this change when doing a simple eval like this?

sourcetype="microBreadcrumb" | eval test=message.totalIdle | table test

No results show up. My guess is the period character "." is normally utilized for string appends within an EVAL expression. Now, I can still accomplish the goal with spath:

sourcetype="microBreadcrumb" | eval test=spath(_raw,"message.totalIdle") | table test

JSON field referencing seems inconsistent between various pipe expressions. I would rather not clutter up the search with the spath function. Don't get me wrong, the spath function is cleaner than the spath pipe expression (ie. spath output=message_totalIdle path=message.totalIdle) but feel this is messy compared to basic k/v pair field references. Also, EVALs still allow field references at the root level but nothing deeper. Considering KV_MODE = json, I would enjoy referencing fields by the indexed "interesting fields" names on the left hand side panel.

Am I missing something simple here?

Highlighted

Re: EVAL JSON Consistency

Builder

I've never used JSON-formatted data in Splunk, but does it work if you enclose the name in single quotes? E.g. eval test='message.totalIdle'

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer

"jaw drop" It does! Thank you cphair, this is perfect.

Highlighted

Builder

Good to hear. I'm not sure exactly how the search parser thinks, but I think the distinction between the cases is that for sum(message.totalIdle), the only way it makes sense is to treat the whole string as a single field name, whereas in the eval test=message.totalIdle it's ambiguous what the dot is supposed to do, so you need to use the single quotes to explicitly say "this is a field name; take its value."

Highlighted

Explorer

That makes sense to me. I probably tried every bracket character besides single quotes. It's critical details like these you skim over in the documentation. Thanks again

Highlighted

Explorer

Single quotes actually work. Great job!

Highlighted

Explorer

Tks.. its help me to

0 Karma