Splunk Search

Dynamic Search Query Based on Field Value

normand1
Engager

I'm trying to create a search that always looks for the responses from the latest version of my app. The `version` field is already defined and the values are something like 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2.

Currently, anytime I update my app I need to update my search query to look for the new version (version=1.3)

I want to do something like "version=my_latest_version" where my_latest_version is a dynamic value that returns the max value of all current "version" field values.

is this possible?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A few ways to address this

1. Have a lookup file where you have the latest version in a field called version and then the query does

[ | inputlookup version.csv | table version ]

but this will need updating, but would be useful if you have many queries that use this field.

2. Run a saved search that searches for the latest version once a day and updates the value in the CSV file used above - makes (1) automated

3. Run the subsearch like @to4kawa refers to, but that will mean that you will have to search all data to get the version before then using that output to search only the latest data set - depending on the data size it could be inefficient.

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

| eventstats max(version) as my_latest_version

yes, it is possible.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...