Splunk Search

Does deploying Splunk from AWS require a public IP address?

Beaubeau

I deployed Splunk Enterprise appliance from AWS Marketplace. The Splunk is deployed, but I cannot access the URL X.X.X.X:8000
I have all the ports opened.
The only difference is I didn't assign a public IP address.
Is a public IP address required for Splunk appliance?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

amiracle
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How are you accessing this system via ssh or remote desktop? Do you have a direct connection into your AWS instance (VPC or dedicated connection)? If you cannot connect to the instance, then you need to use a public IP.

If you do have access to your AWS instance, then simply run a netstat -an |grep 8000 and see if the server is listening on that TCP port. If you don't see that port listed, then you'll probably need to make sure splunk is running ps -ef |grep splunk or $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk -status .

Lastly, if you are running iptables on this instance, make sure it's setup to allow for communication on port 8000.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...