Splunk Search

Distance between two Geocoordinates

srs20

I'm trying to find the distance between two geo coordinates and am looking for help with the search syntax.Here's what my data looks like
Index=S1 created from Sensor1.csv has Id,Lat1,Long1 and Index=S2 created from Sensor2.csv has Id,Lat2,Long2 . I need to find all Lat2 and Long2 that are within a certain distance (say 1 mile) of Lat1 and Long1. I'm ok to do something like the calculation below because I'm working in a small area and reasonable accuracy will work ..is the search syntax below correct?

index=S1 or index=S2 | eval distance=sqrt(pow(Lat1-Lat2,2)+pow(Long1-Long2,2)) ....

How would I use the Haversine formula (assuming I convert my lat long to the required x,y format that Haversine needs)

How do I use the calculated distance in my search syntax. Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

srs20

Thanks .Will try both options.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi srs20,

you can use this macro in macros.conf :

[distance(4)]
args = lat1,lon1,lat2,lon2
definition = eval rlat1 = pi()*$lat1$/180, rlat2=pi()*$lat2$/180, rlat = pi()*($lat2$-$lat1$)/180, rlon= pi()*($lon2$-$lon1$)/180\
| eval a = sin(rlat/2) * sin(rlat/2) + cos(rlat1) * cos(rlat2) * sin(rlon/2) * sin(rlon/2) \
| eval c = 2 * atan2(sqrt(a), sqrt(1-a)) \
| eval distance = 6371 * c |  fields - a c r*
iseval = 0

it can then be used in the SPL like this: | distance(lat1,lon1,lat2,lon2) (sorry not able to add the tick-thingy around the macro).

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...