Splunk Search

Displaying difference between two search query stats

jmalachoSPL64
Engager

I am using the following query to retrieve events that I then display.  I would like to add another column that is the difference between the two columns.

each log event has a field called app_elements={eventtype='event1','widget'='apple'), for example

The query:

index="aws" level="info"  env="dev" earliest=-72h latest=-48h| spath input=app_elements | stats count by eventtype | eval Period="Before" | append [search index="aws" level="info" env="dev" earliest=-24h latest=now| spath input=app_elements | stats count by eventtype | eval Period="Now" ] | chart sum(count) over eventtype by Period

The current result:

eventtype                             Before                    Now

event1                                       10                           20

event2                                       15                           12

event3                                       22                           20

event4                                       5                                8

The desired result:

eventtype                             Before                    Now                Difference

event1                                       10                           20                         10

event2                                       15                           12                          -3

event3                                       22                           20                          -2

event4                                       5                                8                            3

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jmalachoSPL64 Difference seems not consistent however is this what you are looking for?

<your_whole_search>
| eval Difference = Before - Now
| table eventype Before Now Difference

View solution in original post

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jmalachoSPL64 Difference seems not consistent however is this what you are looking for?

<your_whole_search>
| eval Difference = Before - Now
| table eventype Before Now Difference

jmalachoSPL64
Engager

thanks venkatasri.   I threw in a fillnull to zero out the events that don't occur on particular days and it looks great.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...