Splunk Search

Difference between today's and yesterday's data.

Path Finder

I am trying to find the difference between today and yesterday's data. The data consists of every employee's Id number and first/last name. So I just want to know if the company hired within the last day. This is the search query that I currently have. Does the "earliest" and "latest" format make sense (like the -1d@d). Also, if there is not a difference between the two days, how do I have Splunk display a chart that says, "No diff."? Thanks.

| set diff
[ search index="ABCD" (earliest=@d)
| table Employee_number First_name Last_name]
[ search index="ABCD" (earliest=-1d@d latest=@d-1)
| table Employee_number First_name Last_name]

0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

for something like this a lookup might be better imho

another way to do it is maybe to search for the last couple of days, then check in how many unique days an ID appears
if 1 day, then it was hired that day, if greater, then one, it was there yesterday

something like this:
... index="ABCD" Employee_number=* | bin _time span=24h | stats dc(Employee_number) as new_or_not by _time
| eval new_or_not = if(new_or_not=="1","New Person","Long Time Employee") ...

hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

for something like this a lookup might be better imho

another way to do it is maybe to search for the last couple of days, then check in how many unique days an ID appears
if 1 day, then it was hired that day, if greater, then one, it was there yesterday

something like this:
... index="ABCD" Employee_number=* | bin _time span=24h | stats dc(Employee_number) as new_or_not by _time
| eval new_or_not = if(new_or_not=="1","New Person","Long Time Employee") ...

hope it helps

0 Karma

Path Finder

Thank you. That definitely put me in the right direction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...