Splunk Search

Difference between the NOT and != operators?

Jason
Motivator

What is the difference between the NOT operator and the != operator?

I have always used NOT up to this point, but am seeing some very strange behavior associated with it today* and != seems to function as I intend.

NOT seems to be adding seemingly unrelated terms to litsearch in the search inspector's "remote search" which cause the search to fail

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

The difference is that with != it's implied that the field exists, but does not have the value specified. So if the field is not found at all in the event, the search will not match.

NOT field= on the other hand will check if the field has the specified value, and if it doesn't for whatever reason, it will match.

(from http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/43228/use-of-not-vs )

View solution in original post

zac

Most Simplified Explanation

!= is a field expression that returns every event that has a value in the field, where that value does not match the value you specify. Events that do not have a value in the field are not included in the results. For example, if you search for Location!="Calaveras Farms", events that do not have Calaveras Farms as the Location are returned. Events that do not have Location value are not included in the results.

On the other hand, NOT is an operator that returns every event except the events that contain the value you specify. This includes events that do not have a value in the field. For example, if you search using:

NOT Location="Calaveras Farms", every event is returned except the events that contain the value “Calaveras Farms”. This includes events that do not have a Location value.

Here’s an example to illustrate the difference between the two methods. Suppose you have the following events:

Table

ID Name Color Location

101M3McIntoshChestnutMarin Meadows
104F5LyraBay 
104M6RutherfordDunPlacer Pastures
101F2Rarity Marin Meadows
102M7DashBlackCalaveras Farms
102M1Roan  
101F6 ChestnutMarin Meadows
104F4PinkieSorrelPlacer Pastures

If you search with Location!="Calaveras Farms", every event that has a value in the Location field, where that value does not match Calaveras Farms, is returned. Events that do not have a value in the Location field are not included in the results. The following events are returned:

Output Table

ID Name Color Location

If you search with NOT Location="Calaveras Farms", every event is returned except the events that contain the value Calaveras Farms. This includes events that do not have a Location value. The following events are returned:

Output Table

ID Name Color Location

104F5LyraBay 
102M1Roan  
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

The difference is that with != it's implied that the field exists, but does not have the value specified. So if the field is not found at all in the event, the search will not match.

NOT field= on the other hand will check if the field has the specified value, and if it doesn't for whatever reason, it will match.

(from http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/43228/use-of-not-vs )

linu1988
Champion

From my point of view, NOT is like a logical operator rather than the exact "Not equal to operator" which should be considered as an arithmetic operator. Internally it should work like that as other languages, but sometimes it's output makes us think them the same.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Well, that mentions they're different, I want to know how they're different, why one (NOT) added some unnecessary terms to litsearch that broke one of my searches when the other (!=) did not.

0 Karma

RohiniJindam
Path Finder

Possibly what you're looking for

Difference between NOT and !=

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...