Splunk Search

Dedup on data model aftet tstats shows the older event, not the newest

thisissplunk
Builder

I have a tstats query that pulls its data from an accelerated data model. I need to grab only the most up to date host event with the latest IP value. I cannot dedup in the data model root search itself as I need to keep track of _time to get point-in-time results as well.

Anyways, for the most current point-in-time IP value (right now), dedup is not working as intended. It's showing me the older value.

Query without dedup:

| tstats latest(_time) as _time  FROM datamodel="Host_Info" WHERE nodename="hostinfo" hostname=bobs by hostinfo.hostname hostinfo.ip

Results (two values for ip)

hostninfo.hostname hostinfo.ip _time

bobs10.10.10.102021-10-22 19:55:03
bobs33.33.33.332021-10-22 21:23:06

Query with dedup:

| tstats latest(_time) as _time  FROM datamodel="Host_Info" WHERE nodename="hostinfo" hostname=bobs by hostinfo.hostname hostinfo.ip | dedup hostname

Results (older value, not newer):

hostninfo.hostname hostinfo.ip _time

bobs10.10.10.102021-10-22 19:55:03

Why isn't dedup working correctly? If I dedup the actual indexed data, before it hits the datamodel, it works fine and shows me the latest hostname and IP.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/SearchReference/Dedup

Events returned by dedup are based on search order. 
0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

Ok. So I'm left wondering why the data coming back from the accelerated data model is out of order.

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

I haven't figured out why this is happening but the current workaround is to add a latest(hostname.ip) and removing hostname.ip from the by clause.

Not sure why latest() understands the timestamps but dedup doesn't. Maybe dedup works off of something else than _time?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...