Splunk Search

DB Connect: Why am I getting "Error validating dbmonTail for monitor..." trying to create a database input?

gajananh999
Contributor

Dear All,

I have installed splunk db connect application. I have query from which i have to get the result. when i am running a sql query on database query section in app i am able to get the result.
but when i am trying to create a database input using query i am getting following error

Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'dbx-monitors': Unable to xml-parse the following data: Failed to validate: com.splunk.config.SplunkConfigurationException: Error validating dbmonTail for monitor=dbmon-tail://bms_ilsts... See splunkd.log for full data.

Can anyone please help me out here where i am going wrong. i am using oracle database.

Thanks

Gajanan Hiroji

Tags (1)

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Take your SQL and validate that a simpler query works then build it up.
For example the original:

SELECT DISTINCT PRQ.RPT_QUEUE_ID, LRF.FORM_DESC,CU.USER_FULLNAME AS "Scheduled_By", PRQ.SCHEDULED_ON, PRQ.EXECUTION_DATE, 
MAX(PRS.TOTAL) AS "Total_Case_Count" , ROUND((MAX(PRS.END_DATE) - MIN(PRS.START_DATE)) * 3600,2) AS "Run_Time_in_Sec"
FROM ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_QUEUE PRQ,
ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_STATUS PRS,
ARGUS_APP.LM_REPORT_FORMS LRF,
ARGUS_APP.CFG_USERS CU

changed to (take away the date fieldsand max and min, if the query runs dbtail, then add on fields one by one. What is the native DB date field format? :

SELECT DISTINCT PRQ.RPT_QUEUE_ID, LRF.FORM_DESC,CU.USER_FULLNAME AS "Scheduled_By",  
MAX(PRS.TOTAL) AS "Total_Case_Count"
ARGUS_APP.CFG_USERS CU
0 Karma

pmdba
Builder

There are multiple problems here. Rising column should be autofilled by Splunk. Also, you first column returned should be a timestamp, so that Splunk can correctly index the data (in Splunk it's all about when things happen). Read Log File Analysis for Oracle 11g for a primer on how to get information from Oracle into Splunk. Also see this post about date formatting when selecting data from Oracle into Splunk.

A properly constructed dbmon-tail input should look like this:

[dbmon-tail://orcl/scheduler_job_run_details]
 host = localhost
 index = oracle_dbx
 output.format = kv
 output.timestamp = 0
 output.timestamp.format = yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
 output.timestamp.parse.format = yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
 query = select to_char(log_date,'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') log_date, log_id, owner, job_name, 
 status, error# return_code, to_char(req_start_date,'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') req_start_date,
 to_char(actual_start_date,'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'), actual_start_date, to_char(run_duration) run_duration, 
 instance_id, session_id, to_char(cpu_used) cpu_used, additional_info from dba_scheduler_job_run_details 
 {{WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}}
 sourcetype = job_run_details
 tail.rising.column = LOG_ID
 interval = auto
 table = scheduler_job_run_details

Note that the timestamp formats are defined, the timestamp of the event is converted to match using to_char (and is the first column returned in the query), and rising column is specified in its own parameter and autofilled by Splunk using the $rising_column$ alias. Also note that while I have broken this query across lines for readability, it is better in my experience to place the entire query in a single, unbroken line in your inputs.conf file.

pmdba
Builder

I don't know if this is a SQL issue or a Splunk input configuration/formatting issue. What does the full entry for the dbmon-tail in your inputs.conf file look like?

0 Karma

gajananh999
Contributor

Thanks you for this suggestion : But no luck

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Splunk replaces rising column itself, you need not specify it explicitly in the query. Try below.

SELECT DISTINCT PRQ.RPT_QUEUE_ID, LRF.FORM_DESC,CU.USER_FULLNAME AS "Scheduled_By", PRQ.SCHEDULED_ON, PRQ.EXECUTION_DATE, MAX(PRS.TOTAL) AS "Total_Case_Count" , ROUND((MAX(PRS.END_DATE) - MIN(PRS.START_DATE)) * 3600,2) AS "Run_Time_in_Sec" FROM ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_QUEUE PRQ, ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_STATUS PRS, ARGUS_APP.LM_REPORT_FORMS LRF, ARGUS_APP.CFG_USERS CU {{ WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}}

And specify your rising column in the field provided below the SQL query "Rising Column*"

gajananh999
Contributor

I think there is some problem with the max and min function we are using in the query,
when i am trying to run this i am getting same error
SELECT PRS.RPT_STATUS_ID, MAX(PRS.TOTAL), ROUND((MAX(PRS.END_DATE) - MIN(PRS.START_DATE)) * 3600,2) from ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_STATUS PRS {{ WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}}

rising column as RPT_Status_ID

0 Karma

gajananh999
Contributor

Here is the error details
Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'dbx-monitors': Unable to xml-parse the following data: Failed to validate: com.splunk.config.SplunkConfigurationException: Error validating dbmonTail for monitor=dbmon-tail://bms_ilsts... See splunkd.log for full data.

0 Karma

gajananh999
Contributor

Hello reddy,

Thanks !!!! This work for single table but when you are joining more than one table it won't work...

Whenever i am adding where condition that time it is not working

0 Karma

adauria_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you just need to change the literal "10" in the last line of your SQL to a literal question mark (?).

The app expects a question mark for the value of the rising column and replaces it with a literal number on the second (and subsequent) runs of the query. On the first run it pulls back the whole table by omitting what's in the double brackets, and stores the initial highest value of the rising column. After that it maintains state.xml with the highest value yet retrieved, and plugs that in for the ? each time it runs.

gajananh999
Contributor

Hello Andrew,
Thanks of the reply i tried this but same error.

0 Karma

gajananh999
Contributor

Not able to run simple query also
SELECT RPT_QUEUE_ID FROM ARGUS_APP.PER_RPT_QUEUE PRQ {{ WHERE $RPT_QUEUE_ID$ > 10 }}

0 Karma

gajananh999
Contributor

My sql is here SELECT DISTINCT PRQ.RPT_QUEUE_ID, LRF.FORM_DESC,CU.USER_FULLNAME AS "Scheduled_By", PRQ.SCHEDULED_ON, PRQ.EXECUTION_DATE,
MAX(PRS.TOTAL) AS "Total_Case_Count" , ROUND((MAX(PRS.END_DATE) - MIN(PRS.START_DATE)) * 3600,2) AS "Run_Time_in_Sec"
ARGUS_APP.CFG_USERS CU
{{WHERE $RPT_QUEUE_ID$ > 10}}

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...