Splunk Search

Creating a timechart with duration

username13
Explorer

Hey guys. I have multiple events combined to transactions. I'd like to view the duration of each transaction on a timechart to have an overview about when and how long which transaction occured.
My search so far is:

searchterms
| eval start_time = if(like(_raw, "%START%"), 'start', 'null')
| eval end_time = if(like(_raw, "%END%"), 'end', 'null')
| transaction JobDescription startswith=(LogMessage="* START *") endswith=(LogMessage="* END *") maxevents=5000
| timechart [pls help]

I'm pretty lost on that case, so help is very appreciated 🙂

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you do the | transaction, splunks combines multiple events into a single transaction event and adds some additional metadata. If I remember correctly, the one containing transaction duration is called... duration.

So you should do the timechart on duration.

There is one caveat though depending on what you want to do.  But try for yourself and we'll see about it later 😉

EDIT: Ok, let me write it now - the timechart command needs an aggregation function and aligns the data to spans. So if you're fine with, let's say, average duration over 10-minute periods, the timechart is fine. Otherwise if you want to simply plot every single transaction, you need to simply do a | chart of duration over _time and try to fit it into a linechart

username13
Explorer

Thanks for your reply 🙂  I now created this search:

searchterms
| eval start_time = if(like(_raw, "%START%"), 'start', 'null')
| eval end_time = if(like(_raw, "%END%"), 'end', 'null')
| transaction JobDescription startswith=(LogMessage="* START *") endswith=(LogMessage="* END *") maxevents=5000
| chart count(duration) over _time

The result looks like this:

splunk_help.PNG

As you can see, there's always at least one duration during the whole 24 hours. But in reality, there are only a few transactions during day. So I'm wondering: Is it possible that the transaction command returns the "duration" field even for timestamps where the created transaction didn't occour? Or is it just because there might be transactions that collect events which don't contain "END" and are fewer than 5000 in sum?

Thanks again 🙂

0 Karma

username13
Explorer

splunk_help2.PNG
Update:
I just set the span to 10 sec and as shown in the picture, the chart is still using just one specific point to view the event. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're using count of duration which will show you number of values of duration per _time (I don't remember which time it refers to in case of transaction; I'd assume a transaction start time). If you want to chart values for duration you'd need values(duration).

I suppose it might cause some problems if you happen to have two or more transactions beginning at exactly the same moment

0 Karma

username13
Explorer

I see. But my aim is to have the number of JobDescription displayed on the Y-axis and the _time on the X-axis. The count should increment with the start_time and the graph should keep this values until the end_time is reached. (I hope it's understandable, I'm trying my best :D). Using the values command, we end up with the.. well.. values from duration on the Y-axis. 🙂

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm beginning to suspect that you want to get something different than I'm trying to do 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...