Splunk Search

Create table containing hosts,sources metadata?

gowen
Path Finder

I would like to have a list of all the hosts (over some period of time, presumably) and the sources that they've generated logs entries with. A simple table format would work, so there'd be 10 lines for host X, each with a different source listed, if host X generated logs for 10 sources.

More simply:

host1,source1
host1,source2
host2,source1
host2,source3
host2,source4

Is there a way I can get this information? I see how to pull hosts using metadata, and I see how to pull sources using metadata, but I don't see how the two can be related.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

You will have to actually count them up:

index=* | stats count by host, source

should do it.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

You will have to actually count them up:

index=* | stats count by host, source

should do it.

gowen
Path Finder

Excellent, gives me just what I was looking for.

0 Karma

sbrant_tt
Explorer

You can use the following search to accomplish this (slightly different output than you've specified):

* | chart values(source) by host

Or, if you want to include the all (including internal) indexes:

index=* | chart values(source) by host

gowen
Path Finder

Very good, thank you - even though the output format wasn't what I was thinking of, it's still useful and it helps me think in terms of how chart can help me. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...