Splunk Search

Create Statistic Table Based on Regex

Wendy
Explorer

Hi experts, I am new to Splunk and came across this requirement at work.

Requirement:

I want to create a table showing numbers of 2 different versions of recaptcha being successfully and unsuccessfully processed.

Current Log info:

Each event has a field named "msg" which contains many information, including wording like "Exception: recaptcha v 2 validation failure," "Exception: recaptcha v 3 validation failure", "Recaptcha v2 verification: successful", Recaptcha v3 verification: successful" based on different events.

Tasks:
How can I create a regex expression to count number of all exceptions and number of different types of exceptions? Same tasks for successful message, but I can figure it out if someone can help with the previous question?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

hi @Wendy,

You need to extract relevant values in the fields using rex and then use stats to count as per your requirements. Try this:

index=indexname
| rex field=msg "(?<message>(Exception:\s)?(?i)Recaptcha\s(?<version>v\s?\d)[\w\W]+(successful|failure))" 
| eval version=replace(version, "\s+", ""), status=if(match(message, "Exception:"), "FAIL", "SUCCESS") 
| eventstats count as status_count by status 
| stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(*) as * count as message_count by message

If this reply helps you, a like would be appreciated.

Wendy
Explorer

HI @manjunathmeti , that helps. I just need to dissemble your query to understand how it works.

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

1. Extract fields message and version from msg using rex command. Check this slink for detailed regex explanation:  https://regex101.com/r/VjmWn6/1/ :

| rex field=msg "(?<message>(Exception:\s)?(?i)Recaptcha\s(?<version>v\s?\d)[\w\W]+(successful|failure))"

2. Remove whitespace in field version. Evaluate status to FAIL/SUCCESS based on message field values:

| eval version=replace(version, "\s+", ""), status=if(match(message, "Exception:"), "FAIL", "SUCCESS")

3. Count FAIL/SUCCESS status. Check this link for details on eventstats command eventstats .
| eventstats count as status_count by status

4. Count events by the messages. Check this link for details on stats command stats .
| stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(*) as * count as message_count by message

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Wendy 

can you share the sample raw event to write a regex. You can anonymize the critical info if any.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...