Splunk Search

Counting sessions with missing events

ShagVT
Path Finder

Hey gang - searching for missing data is probably the weakest part of my Splunk skillset.  I just have a hard time thinking through how to even write such a query. 

I have a transaction that usually goes event_name=A, event_name=B, event_name=C.  But I'm trying to research a situation where B is missing sometimes.  I'd like to be able to build a timechart that shows the number of transactions in which B is missing.   The events in transaction are all linked by a common identifier that we'll call session_id.

I've looked at the transaction command and I suppose I understand that.

index=indexname event_name=A OR event_name=B OR event_name=C | transaction session_id startsWith=A endsWith=C maxspan=10m

But I don't know where to go from here.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming that session_id is unique across transactions, this will tell you when a transaction with fewer than 3 unique events started and finished

index=indexname event_name=A OR event_name=B OR event_name=C
| stats dc(event_name) as events earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by session_id
| where events < 3

If you specifically want the check event B, you could 

| stats values(event_name) as events earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by session_id
| where isnull(mvfind(events,"B"))

View solution in original post

ShagVT
Path Finder

Your second query here is basically what I was looking for.  To make it work as a timechart I ended up doing this:

| stats values(event_name) as events earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by session_id
| eval _time=start
| timechart count

THANK YOU!!!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming that session_id is unique across transactions, this will tell you when a transaction with fewer than 3 unique events started and finished

| stats dc(event_name) as events earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by session_id
| where events < 3

If you specifically want the check event B, you could 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...