Splunk Search

Correlating two logs help, newbie

curtgran
Explorer

Hi,

Ok at this point I can barely spell SPLUNK but I have gone through a bootcamp course and I'm trying to pull off my first assignment to correlate between two logs.

I have login data like username, AssignedIP, time/date in one log. I have outbound src_ip dest_ip traffic and time/date in another log. I know when a user is assigned an IP but I don't know when they stop other than seeing a new event assigning the IP to a different user.

AssignedIP = src_ip, is the link across the data sources but only within the time period that the user had the IP address.

I have two use cases:
1. Show me all the traffic for a particular user
2. Find the user that generated this traffic

I may have to specify the time and date and not just the last X days/weeks etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction how to build this search and correlate the data? Is this is better as a subsearch or a transaction. I know transactions are more costly but not sure when they are better to use.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the newbie questions

Curt

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @curtgran,

as @fk319 said, you could use the transaction command, but this is a very slow command, so I hint to use it only if you haven't any other solution.

I usually use stats command correlating events by the common key (in your sample AssignedIP and src_ip).

Something like this:

(search_one) OR (search_two)
| rename src_ip AS AssignedIP
| stats values(username) AS username earliest(_time) AS _time values(dest_ip) AS dest_ip values(traffic) AS traffic BY AssignedIP

I listed all the fields you have, obviously you can use only the ones you need in your use cases.

ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

curtgran
Explorer

Yes, I have looked at transactions. And I've been trying to figure out how it works. I've looked at a lot of examples but they all seem to use the same log where I'm trying to go across multiple logs. My biggest issue is figuring out what exactly you put in the transaction command to tie fields together.

Maybe it's because the fields are not the same name in each log. If that's the case I have to figure out how to either redefine, rename or create duplicates with the same name.

Curt

0 Karma

summarsh

Hi! I am looking into the same problem (correlating data between two different log files). Did you find a solution to your problem?

0 Karma

fk319
Builder

search | transaction maxspan=5m field.

I suppose you knew that already, what you need is to have a common field between the logs. You will need to the rex command to help you along here. Usually there is some identifier, like ID or client ip.

0 Karma

fk319
Builder

Have you looked at the command transaction?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...