Splunk Search

Converting multiple html entities in each field to unicode characters

bitnapper
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a dataset with very poor qulity and multiple encoding error. Some fields contain data like "Алексей" which sould be "Алексей". My first idea to convert taht, was to search every falty dataset and convert this extermally with a script but I'm curious if theres a better way using splunk. But I have no idea how to get there.

I somehow need to cet every &#(\d{4}); and I could facilitate printf("%c", \1) to get the correct unicode character but I have no Idea how to apply that to every occourance in a single field. Currently I have data like this:

idname
1Алексей

Where I wanno get is that:

idnamecorrect_name
1АлексейАлексей

Any ideas if that is possible without using python sripts in splunk?

Regards

Thorsten

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bitnapper
Path Finder

Thanks. @bowesmana solution seems to work. But it seems, processing it externally is more efficient. many thanks to all.

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's an example that extracts all the &#nnnn; sequences to a multivalue char field, which is then converted to the chars MV.

It seems like the mvdedup can be used to remove duplicates in each case and the ordering appears to be preserved between the to MVs, so then the final foreach will replace that inside name

| makeresults format=csv data="id,name
1,Алексей"
``` Extract all sequences ```
| rex field=name max_match=0 "\&#(?<char>\d{4});"
``` Create the char array ```
| eval chars=mvmap(char, printf("%c", char))
``` Remove duplicates from each MV - assumes ordering is preserved ```
| eval char=mvdedup(char), chars=mvdedup(chars)
``` Now replace each item ```
| eval c=0
| foreach chars mode=multivalue [ eval name=replace(name, "\&#".mvindex(char, c).";", <<ITEM>>), c=c+1 ]

You could make this a macro and pass a string to the macro and the macro could do the conversion.

Note that fixing the ingest is always the best option, but this can deal with any existing data.

Assumes you're running Splunk 9

Tags (1)

tscroggins
Influencer

Here's a one-liner that handles both decimal and hexadecimal code points:

| eval name=mvjoin(mvmap(split(name, ";"), printf("%c", if(match(name, "^&#x"), tonumber(replace(name, "&#x", ""), 16), tonumber(replace(name, "&#", ""), 10)))), "")

You can also pad the value with XML tags and use the spath command:

| eval name="<name>".name."</name>"
| spath input=name path=name

or the xpath command:

| eval name="<name>".name."</name>"
| xpath outfield=name "/name" field=name

However, avoid the xpath command in this case. It's an external search command and requires creating a separate Python process to invoke $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/xpath.py.

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

spath works nicely, but the one liner only works if ALL the data is made up of codepoints only

tscroggins
Influencer

Here's an alternative using rex and eval that should accommodate chars that aren't XML entities:

| rex field=name max_match=0 "(?<name>(?:&#[^;]+;|.))"
| eval name=mvjoin(mvmap(name, if(match(name, "^&#"), printf("%c", if(match(name, "^&#x"), tonumber(replace(name, "[&#x;]", ""), 16), tonumber(replace(name, "[&#;]", ""), 10))), name)), "")

If I were using any of these solutions myself, I'd choose spath. It should handle any valid XML without needing to handle edge cases in SPL.

tscroggins
Influencer

Indeed, as it is in @bitnapper's original question. nullif, match, etc. could be added for input validation.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...