Splunk Search

Converting Multivalue Fields to Single Value Fields for Line Chart Visualization

sanjai
Explorer

Hello Splunk Community,

I'm encountering challenges while converting multivalue fields to single value fields for effective visualization in a line chart. Here's the situation:

Output :

rwws01  rwmini01

ds_file_path

rwws01

rwmini01

\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.ds

In this output chart table, the fields rwws01 and rwmini01 are dynamic, so hardcoding them isn't feasible. The current output format is causing challenges in visualizing the data into a line chart.

My requirement is get output  :

ds_file_pathrwws01rwmini01
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.ds0.985.99
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.ds  0.993.56
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.ds  0.564.78
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.dsNULL (or 0)9.08
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.dsNULL( or 0)2.98
\\swmfs\orca_db_january_2024\topo\raster.dsNULL (or 0)5.88

I tried different commands and function, but nothing gave me the desired output,

I'm seeking suggestions on how to achieve this single value field format or alternative functions and commands to achieve this output and create a line chart effectively.

Your insights and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming all your "dynamic" fields follow naming convention, try this

| foreach rw*
    [| eval maxelements=if(isnull(maxelements),mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),if(maxelements<mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),maxelements))]
| eval row=mvrange(0,maxelements)
| mvexpand row
| foreach rw*
    [| eval "<<FIELD>>"=mvindex('<<FIELD>>',row)]
| fields - maxelements row

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming all your "dynamic" fields follow naming convention, try this

| foreach rw*
    [| eval maxelements=if(isnull(maxelements),mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),if(maxelements<mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),mvcount('<<FIELD>>'),maxelements))]
| eval row=mvrange(0,maxelements)
| mvexpand row
| foreach rw*
    [| eval "<<FIELD>>"=mvindex('<<FIELD>>',row)]
| fields - maxelements row

sanjai
Explorer

Big thanks to you, @ITWhisperer  ,The solution works flawlessly, and I'm particularly impressed by the elegant utilization of the foreach command. It perfectly aligns with our exact requirements. Thanks for the guidance and assistance .

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @sanjai,

If your original values come from separate events, then a simple table may be all you need:

| table ds_file_path rwws01 rwmini01

tscroggins_0-1715524517154.png

However, the x-axis is a bit wordy.

Can you provide a mock sample of your original data and a drawing of your target visualization?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...