Splunk Search

Convert data only a field contains a specific pattern, otherwise let is as it is (if data_unity=bytes then ... else)

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi to Everyone,

My question is ,i think, quite simple but i haven't found yet solution ^^ (i'm still quite new to Splunk!)

Let's say i have various field indexed, one contains the Data Unity and others values and so on.

I want to have only one kind of commands to generate all mycharts, currently the command is:

Without converting bytes to megabytes:

index="my_index" sourcetype="my_source" $hostname$ $monitor$ $monitor_label$ | timechart span=1h limit=10 max(value) by monitor_label

Converting bytes to megabytes:

index="my_index" sourcetype="my_source" $hostname$ $monitor$ $monitor_label$ | timechart span=1h eval(max(value)/1024/1024) by monitor_label

My goal is to have the same command for both cases including the condition where "data_unity" fields would contains "b/s" --> initiate conversion, otherwise let the data as normal.

Thank your very much for you help, as i am introducing Splunk into my company, getting the better result is my goal.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer
   ... | eval value=if(match(value,"b/s"),value/1024/1024,value) | ...

So what we're doing here is checking if the value contains "b/s", if it does we return value/1024/1024, otherwise we return the original value.

It will also match "Mb/s", so you might need to deal with that too, it could be as simple as changing the "match" to " b/s" (with a leading space).

guilmxm
Influencer

Ok, i found my solution by adding an eval inside the timechart command as:

timechart span=1h limit=10 eval(round(avg(value),2))

Again, thanks for you help

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Well did you try with round()?

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

One more question please, would you know a way to limit inside the same eval the value to only 2 decimals ?

Like with command "value=round(value,2)" ?

Thanks 🙂

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Many thanks, works perfectly as expected!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...