Splunk Search

Confusing in Windows Export Certificate Rule

zksvc
Path Finder

According to Windows Export Certificate - Splunk Security Content it using macros in the first query 

`certificateservices_lifecycle` EventCode=1007 
| xmlkv UserData_Xml 
| stats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by Computer, SubjectName, UserData_Xml 
| rename Computer as dest 
| `security_content_ctime(firstTime)`
| `security_content_ctime(lastTime)` 
| `windows_export_certificate_filter`

And in `certificateservices_lifecycle` macros is (source=XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-System/Operational OR source=XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-User/Operational)

zksvc_0-1724752713713.png

I only know in SPL we can't get result if write query with source in the first position, so i add index=* before `certificateservices_lifecycle` but unfortunately i don't get any result.

Then i'm using metasearch for check it available or not with this query 

First query :
| metasearch index=* source IN ("XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-System/Operational")

Second query :
| metasearch index=* source IN ("XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-User/Operational")

and then i only got 0 result.

The question is if i want to get data from source="XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-User/Operational" did i need setting it in Endpoints or can solved it in Splunk ? 

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"I only know in SPL we can't get result if write query with source in the first position"

It is not true. If you don't specify index conditions explicitly, Splunk uses default indexes for your user's role (which might be an empty set). Conditions in a search are _not_ positional.

OK, having that out of the way...

1) metasearch is an old command, rarely used nowadays since most use cases can be more effectively covered with other methods. In your case it would be

| tstats count where index=* source IN ("XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-System/Operational")

2) Well, do you _have_ any data of this kind? If you haven't ingested it from the endpoint, you can't search from it. That's what the search result tells you. (I assume you're searching over decently wide time range and you have access to relevant indexes)

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"I only know in SPL we can't get result if write query with source in the first position"

It is not true. If you don't specify index conditions explicitly, Splunk uses default indexes for your user's role (which might be an empty set). Conditions in a search are _not_ positional.

OK, having that out of the way...

1) metasearch is an old command, rarely used nowadays since most use cases can be more effectively covered with other methods. In your case it would be

| tstats count where index=* source IN ("XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServicesClient-Lifecycle-System/Operational")

2) Well, do you _have_ any data of this kind? If you haven't ingested it from the endpoint, you can't search from it. That's what the search result tells you. (I assume you're searching over decently wide time range and you have access to relevant indexes)

zksvc
Path Finder

Hi @PickleRick 
Thanks for your reply, and knowledge about source can called in the first position.

Sorry i don't know that because in many case i got it always solved when i add index=* before the source. 

zksvc_0-1724764160097.png

And with your query i only get 0 count, so i think it because my client don't ingest in the Endpoint.

Thankyou for your reply and your information. 

Danke 🍻

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Monitoring Postgres with OpenTelemetry

Behind every business-critical application, you’ll find databases. These behind-the-scenes stores power ...

Mastering Synthetic Browser Testing: Pro Tips to Keep Your Web App Running Smoothly

To start, if you're new to synthetic monitoring, I recommend exploring this synthetic monitoring overview. In ...

Splunk Edge Processor | Popular Use Cases to Get Started with Edge Processor

Splunk Edge Processor offers more efficient, flexible data transformation – helping you reduce noise, control ...