Splunk Search

Comparing performance data from last week to today, using lookup table??

danoconnl
Explorer

I have a report that returns
method Avg(timing) perc90(timing)
that I would like to create as a baseline each week.
index=some_index sourcetype=some_perf method="Oracle*" | stats avg(timing) as Average perc90(timing) as "90th Perc" perc95(timing) as "95th Perc" max(timing) as MAX count by method

Then I would like to create an alert that runs say every half hour or hour that whenever the avg or per90 for a particular method deviates from the base by say 20% I would get a alert that we might have a problem in the database.

I was thinking I would create a report of last weeks results as a lookup table and then do comparisons between each, but I'm not sure how.

we have several customers that depend on the performance of our application and I'd like to be proactive if there is a sudden slowdown in the database

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

Search 1: Runs weekly and updates your lookup table to store weekly (last week I'm assuming) baseline of the average and perc90 of the timing field.

index=some_index sourcetype=some_perf method="Oracle*" earliest=-1w@w latest=@w| stats avg(timing) as LastWeekAverage perc90(timing) as LastWeekPercentile90 by method
| outputlookup method_timing_baseline.csv

Cron: 55 00 * * 1 (every monday 00:55AM)

Now you can run your alert search reference this lookup to compare and alert.

index=some_index sourcetype=some_perf method="Oracle*" earliest=-35m@m latest=-5m@m  | stats avg(timing) as Average perc90(timing) as "90th Perc" perc95(timing) as "95th Perc" max(timing) as MAX count by method | lookup method_timing_baseline.csv method OUTPUT LastWeekAverage LastWeekPercentile90 | where Average >1.2*LastWeekAverage OR '90th Perc'>1.2*LastWeekPercentile90 

Cron : 5,35 * * * * (every 30 mins on 5 and 35 minute of hour)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

Search 1: Runs weekly and updates your lookup table to store weekly (last week I'm assuming) baseline of the average and perc90 of the timing field.

index=some_index sourcetype=some_perf method="Oracle*" earliest=-1w@w latest=@w| stats avg(timing) as LastWeekAverage perc90(timing) as LastWeekPercentile90 by method
| outputlookup method_timing_baseline.csv

Cron: 55 00 * * 1 (every monday 00:55AM)

Now you can run your alert search reference this lookup to compare and alert.

index=some_index sourcetype=some_perf method="Oracle*" earliest=-35m@m latest=-5m@m  | stats avg(timing) as Average perc90(timing) as "90th Perc" perc95(timing) as "95th Perc" max(timing) as MAX count by method | lookup method_timing_baseline.csv method OUTPUT LastWeekAverage LastWeekPercentile90 | where Average >1.2*LastWeekAverage OR '90th Perc'>1.2*LastWeekPercentile90 

Cron : 5,35 * * * * (every 30 mins on 5 and 35 minute of hour)

0 Karma

danoconnl
Explorer

exactly what I was looking for as a starting point, thanks alot

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Is your search given here supposed to get Average and 90th Percentile for entire week or just last week same hour as current hour today?

danoconnl
Explorer

my plan was to get the average for last week, because performance should be comparable within certain parameters +/- 10-or-20%. Really I'm looking for an alert when things have gone real bad and we'll start missing our SLAs

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...