Splunk Search

Comparing Results from two seperate searches?

avajax0
Explorer

Greetings,

I'm looking to craft a correlation that allows me to compare the results between two separate searches. Here's the use case:

• I have 2 indexes, one containing Threat Intelligence data (including domain names to be specific for this case). While the other index holds all DNS requests.
  • I'm looking to craft a Splunk correlation that reads each domain within the DNS requests, which then compares each of those domains to the Threat Intelligence data and see if there's any matches. 

For instance, maybe something along the lines of the logic below:

index=Threat_Intelligence
| table DomainName
| where DomainName IN [search index=DNS | table RequestedDomain]

FYI: The latest Threat Intelligence feeds are pulled every single morning and is updated within Splunk. I thought about using lookup tables or KV Store lookups, but we're pulling in several files each morning, 2 of which are close to 1GB in size. It looks like Splunk Cloud caps the event limit of these lookups to 10,000 events by default, and I've read to be cautious about increasing this limit. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this:

index=Threat_Intelligence OR index=DNS
| eval DomainName=coalesce(DomainName,RequestedDomain)
| stats dc(index) as indexes by DomainName
| where indexes=2

(This will list DomainNames which appear on both indexes) 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this:

index=Threat_Intelligence OR index=DNS
| eval DomainName=coalesce(DomainName,RequestedDomain)
| stats dc(index) as indexes by DomainName
| where indexes=2

(This will list DomainNames which appear on both indexes) 

0 Karma

avajax0
Explorer

Thank you, this works like a charm. I see the logic, essentially just checking to see if a particular domain exists in both indexes (Threat_Intelligence and DNS), which would indicate a hit.

0 Karma

tread_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Reading this again, I think you're looking for a subsearch.  Something along these lines.

index=DNS 
    [| search index=Threat_Intelligence
    | table DomainName
    | rename DomainName as RequestedDomainName 
    | format]
| dedup RequestedDomainName
| table RequestedDomainName

So the subsearch returns a string like ((RequestedDomainName=IntelDomainName1) OR (RequestedDomainName="IntellDomainName2" etc etc)".  Run the subsearch on its own and you'll see what it builds.  This string gets applied to your DNS data as a filter.  Leaving all the events in the DNS index which have domain names referenced in the Threat_Intelligence index.

avajax0
Explorer

Thank you, this appears to work well also. It's seems to be a little less efficient, but still gets the job done.

0 Karma

tread_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks @avajax0 .  I do agree my solution, isn't as as elegant as the one posted by @somesoni2 , but I think mine might actually have performance advantages.  Suggesting this here in case anyone would like to comment.  The way I see it, in my example, the subquery returns a filter list which is applied to the DNS index. DNS might potentially have thousand of host names and hopefully the threat intelligence index will only have a hand full.  Therefore the subquery in my example could reduce the number of events fetched from the DNS index by an order of magnitude improving the overall performance of the query.  "Filter as early as possible" is a best practice rule I've heard repeated often.  Interested to hear any other opinions.  Good luck!

0 Karma

tread_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Some example events from each index would be useful.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...