Splunk Search

Compare lookup file to a field in an index help.

zyz101z
Engager

I have a list of malicious URL's that I have inputted into a lookup table called badurls.csv.  I created a field in the table called domains.  I want to compare that lookup table against an Index and specifically against a field called Domain to see if we have any traffic going to this list of malicious URL's.  

My .csv file has over 3 million entries.  I tried the search below but its not giving me all results and its complaining about a 10,000 line subsearch limit.  

index="dns" | eval d=substr(Domain, 1, len(Domain)-1) | search * [|inputlookup badurls.csv |
rename domains as d | fields + d ] | stats count by d

Any ideas on a better way to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use the lookup as a lookup, rather than a search constraint

index="dns" 
| eval d=substr(Domain, 1, len(Domain)-1) 
| lookup badurls.csv Domain as d OUTPUT Domain as Found
| where !isnull(Found)
| stats count by d

View solution in original post

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zyz101z .. if my understanding is correct, then, subsearch+inputlookup is not needed, just the "lookup" is enough. 

i assumed your badurls.csv got two columns(malicious_url and domain)

index="dns" | eval d=substr(Domain, 1, len(Domain)-1) 
| lookup badurls.csv domain as d OUTPUT url as malicious_url 
| stats count by d

please try this.. some editing may be required. 

~ Happy Splunking ~ Karma points welcome!

0 Karma

zyz101z
Engager

My badurls.csv just has a single column of malicious domains.  

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ohk, generally, a lookup file will have two or more columns(remember "dnslookup"...its converting the name www.google.com to its ip address). so i assumed that your lookup file got 2 columns, my bad 😉 

if you are having only one field, then, if i am in your position, i would simply "ingest" that file, then do the searching as "index="dns" OR index="malicious-domains" |...

or, if you like the inputlookup+subsearch, then increasing the limit was one idea. 

now, as you are having only one field, @bowesmana 's search is perfect!

ok, good that you have found out the solution. you may "like" my replies(add karma points), as your 2 cent for me ;)!

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use the lookup as a lookup, rather than a search constraint

index="dns" 
| eval d=substr(Domain, 1, len(Domain)-1) 
| lookup badurls.csv Domain as d OUTPUT Domain as Found
| where !isnull(Found)
| stats count by d

zyz101z
Engager

This worked perfectly Thanks!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...