Splunk Search

Compare Multivalue Fields With Lookup

cquinney
Communicator

Greetings Splunkers,

I've been banging my head against the keyboard to try and resolve this comparison issue, I know there's a way to do it I just can't seem to figure it out.

The issue I'm trying to resolve is determining if a user has a conflict of interest with regard to roles their user has been assigned, and what management deems inappropriate, segregation of duties basically.  

I get my list of conflicting roles from a lookup.  

- lookup SoD.csv Department as Department OUTPUTNEW Conflicting_Roles, Justification

cquinney_1-1610749823715.png

So if USER_A is within the Finance department and assigned roles A, B, and C   OR    A, B, and Z for example it would be a conflict because they still have A & B.  I can get a proper result when I manually input the roles within a case statement.

Conflict=case(Assigned_Role=Role_B AND Assigned_Role=Role_C, "Conflict",1=1,"No Conflict")

However, given the conflicting roles change based on the department, it will be easier, in the long run, to maintain a lookup for conflicting roles than continuously updating the query. 

I've also tried the following but none seem to work:

• Conflict=case(in(Roles,Conflicting_Roles), "True",1=1, "False")
  • Conflict=if(isnotnull(mvfind(Roles,Conflicting_Roles)),"Matched","Not Matched")
  • Conflict=if(match(Roles,Conflicting_Roles),"Conflict","No Conflict")

None seem to work as I need though, any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Labels (3)
0 Karma

theChain
Explorer

Try something made to give you a comparison of multivalue fields and can return a multivalue field of the intersecting values.

MVCompare | Splunkbase

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

@cquinney ,

You can sort multi values and then compare. Check if this works for you.

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="User,Role,Department,Conflicting_Roles,Justification
A,ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX;ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER;ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER,Tec Team,ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER;ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX,Management Said so.
B,ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX;ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER,HR,ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX;ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER,Management Said so.
C,ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER;ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX,HR,ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX;ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER,Management Said so.
D,ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER;ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER,Tec Team,ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER;ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX,Management Said so." 
| multikv forceheader=1 
| eval Role=split(Role,";"), Conflicting_Roles=split(Conflicting_Roles,";") 
| table User Role Department Conflicting_Roles Justification 
| eval nRole=mvjoin(mvsort(Role), ","), nConflicting_Roles=mvjoin(mvsort(Conflicting_Roles), ",") 
| eval result=if(match(nRole, nConflicting_Roles), "Conflict", "No Conflict") | fields - nRole, nConflicting_Roles

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

>match(multivalue_field,single_value) can work.

your query result is both multi-values. please separate to single value.

0 Karma

cquinney
Communicator

Unfortunately, I require both values to be compared in their multi-valued state.  Otherwise, I continue to get false positives when a user has one of the conflicting roles but not a second or third which makes it "conflicting". 

A user can have a combination of the following roles and not be considered a conflict:

1.  ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER & ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX 

OR

2. ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX & ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER

However, a user cannot have all three (ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER, ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX & ZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER). 

Therein lies the conflict that I'm trying to detect.  When I separate either the conflicting roles combination or the assigned user roles into a single value I get false positives for users that only have one of the conflicting roles but not both.  

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="User Role Department
A ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX\nZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER\nZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER Tec Team
B ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX\nZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER HR" 
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval Role=split(Role,"\n") 
| table User Role Department 
| join Department 
    [| makeresults 
    | eval _raw="Department  Conflicting_Roles  Justification
Tec Team   ZSRM_CENTRAL_SHOPPER\nZSRM_PROCESSINBOX   Management Said so.
HR        ZSRM_PROCESSINBOX\nZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER  Management Said so.
Financial ZSRM_PROCESSINBO\nZSRM_PURCHASING_BUYER  Management Said so." 
    | multikv forceheader=1 
    | eval Conflicting_Roles=split(Conflicting_Roles,"\n") 
    | table Department Conflicting_Roles Justification]
| rename COMMENT as "this is sample, from here, check sequence."
| mvexpand Role
| streamstats count(Role) as Role_count by User
| eval check_role=if(match(Conflicting_Roles,Role),"True","False")
| eventstats max(Role_count) as count count(eval(check_role="True")) as checked by User
| eval Conflict=if(count > checked ,"Conflict" ,"None")
```
| fields - Role_count check_role checked count
| stats values(*) as * by User
```
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

match(multivalue_field,single_value) can work.

mvfind'usage is  mvfind(MVFIELD,"REGEX")

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/SearchReference/MultivalueEvalFunctions

sample:

|makeresults
| eval _raw="User Role Department
A Role_B Tec Team
B Role_B HR"
| multikv forceheader=1 
| table User Role Department
| join Department [| makeresults
| eval _raw="Department  Conflicting_Roles  Justification
Tec Team  Role_B\nRole_C  Management Said so.
HR        Role_A\nRole_C  Management Said so.
Financial Role_A\nRole_B  Management Said so."
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval Conflicting_Roles=split(Conflicting_Roles,"\n")
| table Department  Conflicting_Roles  Justification]
| eval result=if(match(Conflicting_Roles,Role),"True","False")
0 Karma

cquinney
Communicator

Hi to4kawa,

Thank you for the help, unfortunately, I continue to get false readings when a user has more than two roles assigned.  I've attached a screenshot showing what I mean.  Any additional thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...