Splunk Search

Combining field names into one new result name

Grant007701

Hi,

I'm trying to combine results of varying operating systems into one, for example:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008
Microsoft Windows Server 2008r2
Microsoft Windows Server 2012

All to be listed as

Windows Server

Does anyone know I may do this? I tried this but wouldn't work:

...chart count(signature) by operating-system | eval sort_field=case(operating-system=="Microsoft Windows*",Windows Server)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

Hi,

You can also use field aliases in this case, refer the below link for more info and let me know if it works for you.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Knowledge/Addaliasestofields

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Three problems with your eval:

1. operating-system would subtract system from operating - use single quotes to enclose non-standard field names.
  2. =="Microsoft Windows* looks for literal equality, use match() to allow regex-based matches.
  3. Windows Server should throw syntax errors, enclose strings in double quotes.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

Grant007701

Thanks for this.

Still struggling though, I have changed to the following:

...chart count(signature) by operating-system | eval sort_field=case('operating-system'=match('operating-system',"Microsoft*","Windows Server",0))

The arguments to the 'match' function are invalid.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...