Splunk Search

Combine two columns in a table from two separate searches (where one is a subset of the other)

splunkuser2127
Loves-to-Learn

I'm currently running the query (changed to a dog-themed query) where I want to join two logs together by the Dog's name and end up getting the dog's id:

search "something within logs" | join dog_name_field [search "Dogs Name: "]| table "dog_id"

I want another column in the table, which is a subset of the results of the above search, where I get a true or false on whether or not that id belongs to a Golden Retriever. To get the id's for the golden retrievers, I can do something like:

search "something within logs" | join dog_name_field[search "Dogs Name: " AND "Golden Retriever"]| table "dog_id"

How do I get the ids of all the dogs and have another column saying whether or not that dogs is a golden retriever efficiently.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@splunkuser2127 ,

If the dog name is a common field in both searches , try below

Let's say search1 includes index1 and search2 includes index2

index=1 OR index=2 |stats values(dog_id) as dog_id , dc(index) as count by dogs_name
|where count >1

This should give you the common records from both search

Add additional field

index=1 OR index=2 |stats values(dog_id) as dog_id , dc(index) as count by dogs_name
    |where count >1
    |eval  is_golden_retriever=if(dogs_name=="Golden Retriever","True","False")
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

splunkuser2127
Loves-to-Learn

This is helpful, but the dog_name can't be golden retriever, the word "Golden retriever" just might be found in the second search's log

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...