Splunk Search

Combine results from 2 searches with a common field

lohit
Path Finder

Hi all ,

i am trying to merge my results from 2 searches running over different indexes that have a common field "url".

index ="abc"| join url [search index="xyz" | eval url=uri | fields + url, a,b,c ]

i have used the eval command because in index "xyz" field name is uri but the values are same. What i am looking of is

1. To merge these 2 results and output uncommon fields from index "abc" and index "xyz along with "url".

Please help

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi lohit,

you should be able to use something like this:

index=abc OR index=xyz | eval url=coalesce(url, uri) | stats count by url, a, b, c

The eval coalesce will take care that you have a url field for each event fron any index.

Also take a look at this answer for more details http://answers.splunk.com/answers/129424/how-to-compare-fields-over-multiple-sourcetypes-without-joi...

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Hi MuS ,

i have match events containing url from index "xyz" which have same url in index "abc" and not from either of them.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Okay, then you should be able to simply use a index=abc OR index=xyz | stats by url if you have this field in both indexes....but you wrote in your question that you have not, that's why you used the eval.....

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

ok let me explain again.

in index "abc" i have field url, x,y
in index "xyz" i have field uri,a,b
now this uri and url are same fields across indexes. my concern is that how can i get something like this without join in table

col1 col2 col3 col4 col5
url(both index) x y a b

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Understood, try my first search and to add a b x y use streamstats like in the answer I provided the link 😉 Or do it only by using streamstats .... like

index=abc OR index=xyz | streamstats values(a) AS a, values(b) AS b .... 
0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Ok i have written the below query

index="abc" |eval agt=cs_us| join url [ search index="xyz" | eval url=uri |stats values(a) as a,values(s) as s, by url | fields a,s,url] | stats values(agt) values(a),values(s) by url

how can i better write this query ?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

try this:

index="abc" OR index=xyz |eval agt=cs_us | eval url=uri | stats values(a) AS a,values(s) AS s, values(agt) AS atg by url 
0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

it is not returning any results !!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Since I don't have any of your events, I cannot test it. But I did show your the direction to go. Read the linked answer and use the provided searches to try it yourself. Afterwards adopt the searches to your real world events.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

ok thanks MuS

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

MuS, if i run your last suggestion,it is
giving fields from only one index.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

I just did a copy paste of your provided search where you asked how can i better write this query ? yesterday

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

using join , my query is very slow since both the index is very noisy. Any help from your side ?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Yes it is quite strange. my join query is working fine but with stats only it is returning fields from one index.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

index=abc OR index=xyz| eval url=uri | stats values(a),values(x) by url

values(a) is from index=abc and is coming
values(x) is from index=xyz and is not coming.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Also in the output i have to display fields of both indexes. i have done it using join but it very slow. any faster way of doing it.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

solved it
myself

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...