Splunk Search

Charting options column settings not working

hpatel05

Trying out a simple dashboard. But Chart is not taking up selected columns, but showing up all the columns. e.g. in example below, though charting.data1.column mentions only 0 and 1, i was expecting to see PingLoss colummn chart vs time, but it shows up PingLoss and no_PingLoss both columns in the chart. What am I missing ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <dashboard>
      <label>Sample</label>
      <row>
        <chart>
          <searchName>Example</searchName>
          <searchString>* | stats count(eval(eventtype="pingloss")) as PingLoss, count(eval(eventtype="no_pingloss")) as NoPingLoss by _time</searchString>
          <earliestTime>rt-30m</earliestTime>
          <latestTime>rtnow</latestTime>

<option name="charting.data1">view</option>
          <option name="charting.data1.table">@data</option>
          <option name="charting.data1.columns">[0,1]</option>
          <option name="charting.chart.data">@data1</option>
             <option name="charting.chart">column</option>

</chart>
      </row>
    </dashboard>

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

hpatel05

Yes, i know this one, but this is part of more complex chart where I am trying chart overlay with two Y-axis. So same data set, but each chart picks up different columns from data set. But this basic one is not working, so not able to reach next step. I am using splunk 6.0 build 182037 on linux.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

If you only want to see PingLoss vs. time, then I would use

<searchString>eventtype="pingloss" | timechart count as PingLoss</searchString>

I also think that this will be more efficient. And you probably won't need any of the charting.chart options, either.

0 Karma

hpatel05

Thanks, but I am trying out more complex charts. so need to select columns from data output.

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

what version of Splunk are you using?
Also wondering why you wouldn't just use a search like this:
* | stats count(eval(eventtype="pingloss")) as PingLoss, count(eval(eventtype="no_pingloss")) as NoPingLoss by _time|fields - NoPingLoss

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...