Splunk Search

Can you help me get a set of results based on the time picker?

weidertc
Communicator

We need to get the previous week's results as a second set of results based on the time picker used for current time spans chosen, where last week's earliest and latest is -1w from both.

I have a dashboard that shows, by default, the past 60 minutes of data. It also has, as a separate table joined to it, an average of the past 6 weeks for the time chosen. For example, if today is Thursday, 10:15 am, and it defaults to the past 60 minutes, then it pulls records from current 9:15 to 10:15, but also the 9:15 to 10:15 time frame of the past 6 Thursdays, so I get the historical average to compare to the current average for the same weekday same timespan of the same weekdays.

This all works, but only if I hard code the 60 minutes. i need a time picker so you can choose, for example, the past 30 minutes specific times like from 8:30 to 9:45, or whenever, so that the timespan changes based on the time input dropdown.

My problem is that I need to replicate this time span to the previous 6 weeks so it compares equivalently the week over week averages. For example, I can't compare the previous 2 hours with the 6 week average of only 1 hour. That wouldn't make sense. If the user chooses the past 4 hours of data, then the 6 week average must also pick the same 4 hours of data, but for their respective weeks.

My time dropdown creates 2 sets of earliest and latest, one of them in UNIX time, because i thought it might be easier to do the math.

i've tried this to get just the first previous week.

earliest=relative_time($time.earliest_epoch$, "-1w") latest=relative_time($time.latest_epoch$, "-1w")

But I get an error: invalid value "relative_time" for time term "earliest".

How do i accomplish this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

weidertc
Communicator

The way to accomplish this without a search is to create the tokens at the time the input dropdown is updated.

the answer here set the stage:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/590512/use-timepicker-earliest-and-latest-as-epoch-time.html

rather than doing the math inside the search query, have that completed and saved as separate tokens. there would be more tokens this way, but it works.

<change>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest',relative_time(now(),'earliest'))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch">if(isnum('latest'),'latest',relative_time(now(),'latest'))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week1">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-604800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-1w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week1">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-604800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-1w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week2">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-1209600,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-2w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week2">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-1209600,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-2w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week3">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-1814400,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-3w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week3">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-1814400,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-3w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week4">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-2419200,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-4w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week4">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-2419200,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-4w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week5">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-3024000,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-5w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week5">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-3024000,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-5w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week6">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-3628800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-6w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week6">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-3628800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-6w"))</eval>
  </change>

then you can do

earliest=$time.earliest_epoch_week1$

View solution in original post

0 Karma

weidertc
Communicator

The way to accomplish this without a search is to create the tokens at the time the input dropdown is updated.

the answer here set the stage:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/590512/use-timepicker-earliest-and-latest-as-epoch-time.html

rather than doing the math inside the search query, have that completed and saved as separate tokens. there would be more tokens this way, but it works.

<change>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest',relative_time(now(),'earliest'))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch">if(isnum('latest'),'latest',relative_time(now(),'latest'))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week1">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-604800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-1w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week1">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-604800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-1w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week2">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-1209600,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-2w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week2">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-1209600,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-2w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week3">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-1814400,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-3w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week3">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-1814400,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-3w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week4">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-2419200,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-4w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week4">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-2419200,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-4w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week5">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-3024000,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-5w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week5">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-3024000,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-5w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.earliest_epoch_week6">if(isnum('earliest'),'earliest'-3628800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'earliest'),"-6w"))</eval>
    <eval token="time.latest_epoch_week6">if(isnum('latest'),'latest'-3628800,relative_time(relative_time(now(),'latest'),"-6w"))</eval>
  </change>

then you can do

earliest=$time.earliest_epoch_week1$
0 Karma

briancronrath
Contributor

Keep in mind that you can't call a relative_time in a base search, it's only for things such as evals. So, you are probably better off using relative time in a separate search that then sets that epoch value to a token, to which your earliest= and latest= values use to compare against.

0 Karma

weidertc
Communicator

thanks, i looked up the docs and they do indeed state.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions

does this really have to be done in a whole other search? all i need is the calculation, not a search. the query cannot perform that well with all that i'm tasking it to do, so i can't afford to broaden my search and then narrow down later.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...