Splunk Search

Can we use Start/End times from a query to get duration to use it in another search query to get an average of a field in that duration ?

MSaraswat

I am able to get the Start/End times of a load test execution from a search query (by getting End time from Timestamp (field) of the log data, and subtracting the duration (field) to get Start time.
Now I want to use this Start time, End time and duration between them in another search query with a different sourcetype such that it would fetch all the data inputs falling within that time duration (between Start/End times) from another app logs - to calculate the average/count of a field.
So, please help me in achieving the desired data with the required search queries (using subsearch/joins etc.)

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi MSaraswat,
try something like this

index=my_index1 sourcetype=my_sourcetype1 [ search index=my_index2 sourcetype=my_sourcetype2 | rename Timestamp AS latest | eval earliest=strptime(latest,"time_format")-duration | fields earliest latest ]

(I don't know the Timestamp field format so you have to customize it).

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion
[search <your search that creates start/end fields> | rename start AS earliest, end AS latest | table earliest latest] <your new search>

As a run-anywhere example:

[| makeresults | eval start=relative_time(now(), "-10min"), end=relative_time(now(), "-5min") | rename start AS earliest, end AS latest | table earliest latest] index=_internal

Note the run-anywhere example doesn't have search in the subsearch (between the []). This is because makeresults is a generating command. I'm assuming your initial search that calculates start/end will use an indexed search, and the search command that would be assumed in your main search string must be explicitly included inside a subsearch.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...