Splunk Search

Can I use lookup for whitelisting based on 2 columns?

izzie123
Path Finder

I have to whitelist fields based on 2 columns in a lookup, but the second column has multiple values.

So we have to whitelist based on the condition that the username and the destinations are in two fields in the same event.

In the event too, we have the field values(dest) so multiple destinations are in one cell.

The condition is that the user with those destinations should be whitelisted.

How can we achieve this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let me try to illustrate my understanding of the use case. You have a lookup, say whitelist, that contains two fields,

userdestination
user1dest1,dest2,dest3
user2dest1,dest3,dest4,dest5

You haven't described how the multiple values are separated, so I pick comma as separator. You haven't described which field to look up; I assume it is user, which also exist in events with the same field name.

If these assumptions are correct, the SPL to implement your requirement would be something like

| lookup whitelist user ``` assuming match field is user ```
| eval destination = split(destination, ",") ``` assuming comma as separator ```
| eval whitelisted = mvmap(destination, if(dest == destination, "yes", null()))
| where isnotnull(whitelisted)

If, on the other hand, multiple values in lookup is not separated by a character, but is from multilisting, like

userdestination
user1dest1
user2dest1
user1dest2
user2dest3
user1dest3
user2dest5

The output from lookup would have already been multivalued. In this case, you won't need that split, i.e.,

| lookup whitelist user ``` assuming match field is user ```
| eval whitelisted = mvmap(destination, if(dest == destination, "yes", null()))
| where isnotnull(whitelisted)

(The moral of the story: Be specific about inputs.)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...