Splunk Search

Can I apply an inputs.conf WinEventLog stanza by regex or IP range with a whitelist?

wyodoc1
Explorer

Can we, because of Windows SID translations needing to be pointed to specific DomainController based on IP, point our DMZ Universal Forwarders to DC in the DMZ (IP=205.x.x.x) and point anything else to our internal DC? I know you can whitelist files and host using REGEX, but what about IP? or with REGEX of IP? I would rather not have to adjust or keep a list of what servers are in DMZ and update list as they are added and removed.

[WinEventLog://Security]
whitelist=205.*
evt_dc_name = app-ldap-servers.domainname.com

[WinEventLog://Security]
blacklist=205.*
evt_dc_name = internal-app-ldap-servers.domainname.com
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, you cannot; whenever you duplicate any WinEventLog stanza, the last one has precedence and all earlier stanzas are completely ignored. You have 2 options: you can stand up 2 instances of Splunk on the forwarder and configure each one with one of the stanzas (this is really not a big deal and works great) or you can carve out one set of events and send them to a logfile using Windows tools and Splunk that logfile. This answer discusses the latter solution:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/314099/for-wineventlogsecurity-how-to-use-renderxmltrue-f-1.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...