Splunk Search

Calculating the time between events

gsmi

I am trying to pull some stats from splunk around how long a user session was active for.

in the logs i have a logon message, and either a corresponding log off message or a session timeout message and i can correlate the messages by a session token present in each message.

I have the following query which uses transaction to tie everything together

index=diagnostic (host="*ABC*" OR host="*DEF*" OR host="*XYZ*") (mod="Authenticator" AND opn="Logout Service" AND msgId="AUDIT_MSG_005" AND ssoTicket=* ) OR (mod="Authenticator" AND opn="Validate Service" AND msgId="AUDIT_MSG_005" AND ssoTicket=* ) OR (mod="SESSIONTIMEOUT" AND opn="SESSION_TIMEOUT" AND msgId="Working On Key:*")
| rex field=msgId "(?<ssoTicket><TOKEN REX>)" 
| fields ssoTicket,msgId 
| transaction ssoTicket startswith="Validate Service" endswith=("Logout Service" OR "SESSIONTIMEOUT")
| stats avg(duration) as "Avg Sess. Dur(sec)",perc25(duration) as "25th percentile",perc75(duration) as "75th Percentile",perc95(duration) as "95th percentile", max(duration) as "Max Sess. Dur(sec)", dc(ssoTicket) as "Unique Sess.", count(eval(duration>36000)) as "sess. > 10hrs"

However it does not appear to be returning all the results I expect, for instance If i run it for a 24 hour period I don't see any sessions that went over 10 hours. and the overall session count is a lot lower then i would expect for a 24 hour period.

I know there are sessions that hit the time out window as I can see the tiimeout message, and If i search for that session token along with the token of a session that was logged out, the stats look ok.

so how do I get transaction to return all the results i need, or produce the same stats without using transaction?

Thanks

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...