Splunk Search

Calculating data throughput for cloud

taijusoup64
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm trying to calculate the data throughput for a cloud computing solution that will be charging based on outgoing data throughput.

We're collecting on the link using security onion and forwarding those zeek logs to our splunk instance. 

index="zeek" source="conn.log"
((id.orig_h IN `front end`) AND NOT (id.resp_h IN `backend`)) OR 
((id.resp_h IN `front end`) AND NOT (id.orig_h IN `backend`))
| fields orig_bytes, resp_bytes
| eval terabytes=(((((resp_bytes+orig_bytes)/1024)/1024)/1024)/1024)
| stats sum (terabytes)

This gives me traffic throughput in and out of the network for external connections however what I need is to calculate orig_bytes only when the id.orig_h is my `frontend` and resp_bytes when id.resp_h is `frontend`.
I can get them separately by just doing two different searches and then adding the results up by hand. But I'm sure theres a way to do what I want to in one search using some sort of conditional. I've tried using where and eval if but I'm just not skilled enough it seems. 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @taijusoup64 ,

let me understand: you want to calculate bytes only when:  id.orig_h="frontend" AND id.resp_h="frontend", is this correct?

in this case add the condition to the eval statement:

| eval terabytes=((if(id.resp_h="front end",resp_bytes,0))+(if(id.orig_h="front end",orig_bytes,0)))/1024/1024/1024/1024
| stats sum (terabytes)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

why did you used all that parenthesis?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

taijusoup64
Loves-to-Learn Lots

apologies for all the parenthesis, I was just trying to keep things straight in my head. There's definitely a better way to frame the query. 

I tried what you suggested with:

if(id.resp_h="front end",resp_bytes,0)

even simplifying the expression to filter on one ip address at a time gives an error. trying to use it like this 

| eval terabytes=((if(id.resp_h=192.168.0.1,resp_bytes,0))+(if(id.orig_h=192.168.0.1,orig_bytes,0)))/1024/1024/1024/1024
| stats sum (terabytes)

I just get an error back from splunk. 
Error in EvalCommand: the number 192.168.0.1 is invalid

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @taijusoup64,

use always quotes in the eval condition:

| eval terabytes=((if(id.resp_h="192.168.0.1",resp_bytes,0))+(if(id.orig_h="192.168.0.1",orig_bytes,0)))/1024/1024/1024/1024
| stats sum (terabytes)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...