Splunk Search
Highlighted

Bug in spath ? Not recovering every fields

Builder

Hi have a query, that try to get all the fields from an xml doc.
For some reason, spath seems to ignore some of the fields, in the example below, this is the case with field LinienText under Splunk 5.0.2 :

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Bug in spath ? Not recovering every fields

Builder

In Fact it is because of the limitation of spath from 5000 characters, I have 10000...

for me it is really a problem don't being able to overwrite this setting as user... like "spath limit=10000"

Highlighted

Re: Bug in spath ? Not recovering every fields

Explorer

I had been hitting the same problem: some events had xml that was longer than 5000 characters, and spath wasn't extracting all the fields I knew were in there.

Here's how to fix it:
Override the spath character limit in $splunk_home%/etc/system/local/limits.conf.

My exact edit was to add the below config section to /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/limits.conf (since it wasn't there be default in 4.3.3). I pulled this from /opt/splunk/etc/system/default/limit.conf:

[spath]

number of characters to read from an XML or JSON event when auto extracting

extraction_cutoff = 10000

I copied and pasted my answer from here: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/179968/parsing-very-long-json-lines.html. I hope that's ok. These two Splunk answers were the top 2 in Google searches for, so I figured I'd contribute my solution in case it helps others.