Splunk Search

Boolean in Regex

DotTest37
Path Finder

Im trying to solve a problem with my regex.
Im extracting the username from an XML transaction.
Sometimes the username comes like this (Byt the way, I think I dont know how to post XML code on the SplunkBase because it gets processed by the editor, so Im omitin some ">" and "<" to get it out).

<login>user1@gmail.com</login>

I can get it with this Regex:

(?i)<login>(?P<CustomerName>[^<]+)"

And sometimes like this:

<login xmlns="">user2@gmail.com</login>

I can get it with this Regex:

(?i) xmlns="">(?P<CustomerName>[^<]+)

Im trying to get a Regex that satisfy both cases,, I was thinking about a boolean, like OR (||) between the two REGEX, but it didnt work.
Im new to this and I dont know how to use it.
Thanks!!

Tags (2)
0 Karma

DotTest37
Path Finder

m new to this and try to learn. How do you actually use a Boolean | with the Splunk variables? an example will give me a quickstart. Thanks guys.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

You can use a single | symbol as an OR in regex, but you don't really need to in this case. Something like the following should work, where you simply tell it to consume any optional characters before the <login> tag's closing bracket.

(?i)<login [^>]*>(?<PCustomerName>[^<]+)"

If you really want an OR condition, you use a vertical bar (pipe) symbol, like:

(<login>)|(<login xmlns="">)(?<PCustomerName>[^<]+)"

For a good reference take a look at http://www.regular-expressions.info/

Also, check out Kodos or Regex Buddy if you need a good way to test.

0 Karma

DotTest37
Path Finder

I tested your rewritten RegEx and they worked perfect. Im new to this and try to learn.
How do you actually use a Boolean | with the Splunk variables? an example will give me a quickstart.
Thanks guys.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

How about

<login[^>]*>(?P<CustomerName>[^<]+)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...