Splunk Search

Average sessions per hour

alaking
Explorer

I am trying to calculate the average number of sessions per hour based on "off hours" 5pm to 9 am. I have the time range and events, I just need to do the math.
This returns an empty result set:
Search here
| stats count(sessionid) as total2
| stats avg(total2) by date_hour

This returns a time chart but it's averaging the values of sessionid (which is a numeric field):
Search here | timechart span=24h per_hour(sessionid) as AvgPerHour

and finally, this returns the count per hour as expected but I'm at a loss as to how to average based on this count:
search here | stats count(sessionid) by date_hour

Thanks in advance for reading.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to chain 2 stats commands like this:

search here | bucket _time span=1h | stats dc(sessionid) AS sessionIds by _time | stats avg(sessionids)

Run this with a timepicker value that spans many hours.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to chain 2 stats commands like this:

search here | bucket _time span=1h | stats dc(sessionid) AS sessionIds by _time | stats avg(sessionids)

Run this with a timepicker value that spans many hours.

alaking
Explorer

This works! Thank you for the speedy reply, I'm still trying to grasp the complexity of the search language.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...