Splunk Search

Are there any solutions in Splunk for color blind users such as color-blind or high contrast flags for charts?

awjohnson
Explorer

Viewers of some of my charts are color blind. Are there any solutions for this issue besides myself manually setting the colors for charts?

I am looking for a color-blind or high contrast flag for charts.

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are no options for this in the standard charting options.

However, you could use both CSS and xml markup to change the colors and text of the dashboards to deliver a more desired level of visibility along with your requirements.

You can refer to the Splunk Dashboarding and Visualization Manual for more details and examples :
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Viz/Aboutthismanual

Another idea, typically the computers have a visually impaired color/visual scheme that can be used, at the OS level. I would assume you have looked at this option already and found it insufficient?

View solution in original post

freeload101
Explorer

Sort of .... if they could fix the "selected text" in the search windows it would be fixed globally for this ..

1. Ensure both browsers are using the latest Canary version, type about:flags in your browser

2. Search for “forced” and for highlighted “Forced Colors “flags, which provides a description of turns on “forced colors mode for web content”, select “Enabled”

Reference:  https://github.com/freeload101/SCRIPTS/tree/master/AutoHotkey/High%20Contrast%20Chrome

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @awjohnson

Just following up with this post as it's a pretty interesting topic and a good number of users seem interested. Does @esix_splunk's answer below help solve your question?

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are no options for this in the standard charting options.

However, you could use both CSS and xml markup to change the colors and text of the dashboards to deliver a more desired level of visibility along with your requirements.

You can refer to the Splunk Dashboarding and Visualization Manual for more details and examples :
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Viz/Aboutthismanual

Another idea, typically the computers have a visually impaired color/visual scheme that can be used, at the OS level. I would assume you have looked at this option already and found it insufficient?

freeload101
Explorer

Even selecting text is still invisible in high contrast mode you would think with the cloud they would have fixed that.... I guess they don't care about partially blind people. I'll have to write a custom grease monkey script that fixes the select text in search...

0 Karma

awjohnson
Explorer

My colorblind viewer left the company. I do not have a test subject anymore.

You bring up a good point at the OS offering a solution. I'm not sure why he didn't use that functionality.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...