Splunk Search

Append the columns of a search onto the results of another search many times [lookup, but for a search]

ccunov

Search A returns many events for each ID.
Search B returns a single event for each ID.

My end result is a table with each event from search A, with the values from a few fields in search B appended as new columns to EACH event in A.

If that's not clear here's more:

Search A looks like this:

_time,ID,interesting_field

Search B looks like this:

_time,ID,tag
1,1,hello
1,2,wuddup
1,3,yo

End-result should look like this:

_time,ID,interesting_field,tag
1,1,420,hello
2,1,5318008,hello
1,2,69,wuddup
2,2,12,wuddup
1,3,8008,yo
2,3,41,yo

Extra tags for the people from google: one-to-many

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi ccunov,

I used the sample events from search B and created a lookup file with it so it contains :

_time,ID,tag
1,1,hello
1,2,wuddup
1,3,yo

then you can use this SPL to get the expected table view:

search a | rename _time AS time | lookup search_b.csv ID | table time ID int* tag | sort tag

The result looks like this:

alt text
Just ignore the first inputlookup this was just me getting your search a sample events in.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

ccunov

I guess what I'm trying to do is exactly what lookup does. Unfortunately I can't dynamically create a lookup, and that wouldn't be efficient anyway. Is there a similar command for a search?

Thanks for putting in the effort to help me btw!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Why can't you create dynamic lookups? Any search result can be saved as lookup using outputlookup command. Also lookup's are a very efficient tool to enrich events or limit events, they can get inefficient when we talk about millions of lines or very high 3 digit MB in size.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi ccunov,

try something like this:

( search A ) OR ( search B )
| stats values(*) AS * by _time ID

This will combine the events as shown in your expected end result.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

ccunov

This doesn't combine the results into one table, it just returns events from both searches

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Yeah, I see what you mean and will post a new answer with a better approach 😉

cheers, MuS

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...