Splunk Search

Append causing dashboard panels to use colours for max ranges

benhooper
Communicator

In my dashboard, I have "Alerts Open" timechart single value panels with colour ranges that are using the following searches:

index="<client>" case_id | dedup 1 case_id sortby -_time | search (status=new OR status=under_investigation) | timechart sum(alert_count) as alert_count_total | addcoltotals

This works fine in all aspects when there are actually alerts open.

However, I found that when no alerts are open then it simply displays "No results found" but I wanted it to stay on 0. I tried using  "if(isnull" and "fillnull" neither of which worked but I found that using the following search resolves this:

index="<client>" case_id | dedup 1 case_id sortby -_time | search (status=new OR status=under_investigation) | timechart sum(alert_count) as alert_count_total | append [| stats count as alert_count] | addcoltotals

However, a side of that is that the panels are now using the colours for the max ranges, even though the value is 0 and the max ranges are, for example, "from 100 to max". This can be seen below.

2020-08-10 15-08-01 - Search__Splunk_8.0.5_-_Google_Chrome.png

For some reason, it seems that it's the timechart that's causing this because removing it uses the correct colours. This can be seen below.

2020-08-10 15-11-19 - Search__Splunk_8.0.5_-_Google_Chrome.png

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

benhooper
Communicator

I found:

1. That it was actually the lack of events that was causing this.
  2. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Evaluate-if-there-are-no-search-results-or-events-for-a-fiel... which recommended using makeresults so I replaced "append [| stats count as alert_count]" with "append [| makeresults | eval alert_count_total = 0]" which resolved the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

I found:

1. That it was actually the lack of events that was causing this.
  2. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Evaluate-if-there-are-no-search-results-or-events-for-a-fiel... which recommended using makeresults so I replaced "append [| stats count as alert_count]" with "append [| makeresults | eval alert_count_total = 0]" which resolved the problem.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...