Splunk Search

After clicking on any row in a table of results produced using iplocation, why does it drill down to a search that returns 0 results?

sergiyyarinovsk
Explorer

Hi there

I have Splunk 6.4.0. I have a table with count of countries based on IP addresses. Search string:

index = my_index
| iplocation ipaddr
| stats count by Country
| sort count desc

Result looks like this:

Country        count
United States   180
China            26
Germany        24
Japan            17

Which is great. But when I click any row, I am redirected to the search:

index = my_index
| search Country="United States"
| iplocation ipaddr

It shows 0 results. If I move the search line after the iplocation line, then the search shows the correct count (because the Country field was created by the iplocation command). How can I fix this default behavior without manually changing thesearch string?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

arobbins_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you've stumbled across a bug with the drilldown system.

As for changing the default, there is no way to change the way that drilldown works on the search page.

The only work-around I can think of is: make a dashboard with that search. You can then use "dynamic drilldown" which you can specify in the XML to craft the exact search that you want to run given a particular value for Country.

View solution in original post

arobbins_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you've stumbled across a bug with the drilldown system.

As for changing the default, there is no way to change the way that drilldown works on the search page.

The only work-around I can think of is: make a dashboard with that search. You can then use "dynamic drilldown" which you can specify in the XML to craft the exact search that you want to run given a particular value for Country.

sergiyyarinovsk
Explorer

Actually yeah. Good point 🙂 But I have already done that with dynamic drilldown. Thanks anyway. I will provide my example for another users:

<panel>
  <table>
    <title>Logins by country</title>
    <searchString>
      index = my_index
      | iplocation ipaddr
      | stats count by Country
      | sort count desc
    </searchString>
    <drilldown>
      <link>
        <![CDATA[
            /app/my_splunk_app/search?q=search%20index%20%3D%20my_index ... %20%7C%20search%20Country%20%3D%20"$row.Country$" ...
        ]]>
      </link>
  </drilldown>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...