Splunk Search

Advanced search question, match logs entries against other entries by string, show diff?

darrel343
Engager

My log entries look like this:

DATE: order=8 status=processed
-many entries in between-
DATE: order=8 status=completed

Is there some way I can get a count of instances where "order=X processed" is found but where "order=X completed" is not found? I'm pretty new to splunk queries, and have been reading up, but this is kind of specific and I'm not even sure if it's possible, so I thought I would ask.

Also, I can control the log files, so if there is a different way of separating fields or a way of logging that would make this easier, please let me know.

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi darrel343
Try this search code i think it will help

.......... status="processed" AND status!="completed"  |stats count by order |table count
0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

Like @bmcias84 said, transaction is the way to go. You'll want to include the keepevicted flag with it. Transaction will automatically add a field called closed_txn that tells you whether the transaction is complete or incomplete. Use this field in conjunction with stats to get the information you need. something like this:

your main search | transaction order startswith="status=processed" endswith="status=completed" keepevicted=t | stats count(eval(closed_txn="0")) as "Complete_Order_Transaction" count(eval(closed_txn="1" AND status="processed")) as "Order_Processed_But_No_Completion" count(eval(closed_txn="1" AND status="completed")) as "Order_Completed_But_Not_Processed"

darrel343
Engager

This answer was the most helpful in showing me how to make the transaction feature work, thanks.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This should work

yoursearchhere status=processed status=completed
| stats count(eval(status="processed")) as processed count(eval(status="completed")) as completed by order
| where processed >= 1 and completed < 1

Or you could use transaction as suggested, but it will be less efficient

yoursearchhere status=processed status=completed
| transaction order
| where eventcount < 2

aweitzman
Motivator

One of the more efficient ways to do this is to gather your statuses for each order into a multivalued field and then filter your results by its contents:

...your search... 
| stats values(status) as statusvalues by order
| where statusvalues="processed" AND statusvalues!="completed" 
| table order

Splunk is nice that you can check any value of of a multivalued field using the = operator.

bmacias84
Champion

You do transaction on order id. then find where order don't contain completed. probably the simplest.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...