Splunk Search

Add description to field value

phildefer
Explorer

Hello, 

I have a system log which contains different DNS error messages (in the 'Message' field) and I am looking for an easy way to provide a short, meaningful description for those messages, either by adding a new field representing each unique DNS error message, or by adding text to the Message field.

Here's an example; one event contains the following : 
Message="DNS name resolution failure (sos.epdg.epc.mnc720.mcc302.pub.3gppnetwork.org)"

This error is related to WiFi calling, so I would like to associate a description, or tag to that specific message, e.g. "WiFi calling".

Thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how many cases you have, you can either do it inline, with

| eval description=case(match(Message, "regex_expression1"), "Description1",
                        match(Message, "regex_expression2"), "Description2",
                        match(Message, "regex_expression3"), "Description3")

or probably more practical is to make a lookup - probably a wildcard based lookup, which means creating a CSV with Message, Description fields and then a lookup DEFINITION that has the match type set to 

WILDCARD(Message)

In that you could then put things like

"DNS name resolution failure*" as the Message column and then a suitable description.

Using a wildcard type means you don't have to write SPL to extract particular bits of the message to determine the lookup attribute.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...