Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Splunk Phantom SOAR Vault tmp Directory Clean Up

splunk4days
Engager

Hello,

In short, I have to transmute a file, and I leverage the /vault/tmp/ directory.

I'm able to do what I want, but I'm wondering if I have to 'clean up' this /vault/tmp/ directory.

ex - I have a file I want to XOR bit by bit. I read unxord.exe bit by bit, write to /vault/tmp/xord.exe, then I do a phantom.vault_add(file_location="/vault/tmp/xord.exe"). This works fine.

Do I have to do any removal of the "/vault/tmp/xord.exe"?

I've tried to do something like:

import os

os.remove("/vault/tmp/xord.exe")

However, I get a path not found error.

So, how often does Phantom SOAR clean up the /vault/tmp/ directory, and can/should I remove the temp file myself?

Thanks!

0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@splunk4days i believe that by using the phantom.vault_add() API the file is "moved" from the tmp dir into the relevant file location on the platform where the vault storage is, rather than copied.

I have not tested this but have also never had to clear the /tmp dir when using it for vault_add() API calls. 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...