Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Advanced SOAR python, playbook custom function use

jokr
Observer

Hi, I've got a problem with this playbook code block, the custom functions I try to execute seem to hang indefinitely, I also know the custom function works because I've successfully used it from a utility block

I've tried a few different arrangements of this logic including initializing cfid with both the custom function calls and consolidating custom function names into a single while loop with the phantom.completed and have used pass instead of sleep.

But the custom function doesn't seem to return/complete. 

jokr_0-1707414958450.png

Here's another example, which is basically the same except it consolidates the while loops and executes both the custom functions at the same time.

jokr_1-1707421147227.png

Once either of these above scenarios (or something similar) are successful I need to get the results from the custom function  executions (below pic), combine it into a single string and then send "data" to another function:
> post_http_data(container=container, body=json.dumps({"text": data})

jokr_2-1707421406710.png

Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

jokr
Observer

SOARt_of_Lost,

Thanks for the reply.  The whole VPE is kinda clunky, but I guess that's what part of the SOAR is for is to provide a visual programming interface.

I ended up writing a python module and installed it via the backend procedure with pip.

0 Karma

SOARt_of_Lost
Path Finder

In my limited testing, SOAR doesn't seem to like handling custom functions within a single code block. It doesn't want to wait for the custom function to actually finish before moving on.

For reference, first_code_block just calls a custom function and second_code_block runs phantom.completed() on that function.

SOARt_of_Lost_0-1708457439506.png

If you have to call the function from within a code block, you can add a callback. This will make sure the code doesn't move on until the run finishes. I wasn't able to get the callback to work on a second function within the same block. (One note on this: Phantom will call the last two lines of the code block before the custom function finishes)

phantom.custom_function(... callback=second_code_block)

SOARt_of_Lost_1-1708457766151.png

The easiest method by far is to just put each custom function into their own block, then do whatever processing you need in a custom code block below. By default, SOAR will wait for any simultaneous blocks to finish before running the next step.

SOARt_of_Lost_2-1708458074154.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...